Skip to main content

Book talk - Review of 'Black Ice' BY Becca Fitzpatrick

Published as ebook
by S&S Books for young readers 





So this book showed up on my radar fairly unexpectedly. I've got to be honest and say that I hadn't been aware of its publication at all and I certainly didn't know what to expect when I read that 'Black Ice' was labeled as a 'dark and mysterious thriller.' 


The reviews I'd read prior to starting the ebook were rather mixed in opinion, but as a big fan of the the Hush Hush series I knew I would just have to give it a chance. 

It started off entertaining enough and despite my initial concerns, I kept on reading. I'm not too sure how I feel about labelling Black Ice as a thriller however,  because if I had to be brutally honest, I don't believe it really qualifies as one, even as a young-adult thriller. 

Were there parts that somewhat shocked me? Yes, certainly. 

Was I scared or at all worried for the characters at any point? Sadly...no. 

Which is why I think the book lacked in terms of general 'thrill' - if something is described as a thriller and yet,  the reader does not fear for the characters lives at least once during a supposedly dark plot, something is obviously not quite right. Now don't get me wrong, the plot itself is by no means awful; all the book needs is a little rebranding. Leave it in with the mystery and suspense genre and voila, I'm sure a lot of people would think different about it. 

Character wise, I wasn't too keen on Britt's so called best friend and I got quite frustrated with her fairly early on. Alas, the male characters weren't that much better in comparison  if I'm honest, apart from maybe that one exception. In terms of dialogue and story progression I can say that some of the scene were a little ridiculous, but entertaining nonetheless. 

On a positive note, I really did like the location Becca picked. Big fan of cozy mountain cabins, just a bit of a shame Becca's initial idea didn't live up to its full potential. 

Overall, I can't say that I regret reading 'Black Ice' or that it changed my view of the Author, however I probably won't re-read it anytime soon either. 
I'm going to award it 2.5 stars out of 5 



Copy provided for honest review. 





Popular posts from this blog

Book talk - Seven Exes by Lucy Vine

  *Free copy received from publisher S even Exes. Seven Missed Chances. Who was the one who got away? Esther is nearing thirty, with a great job and a flat she shares with her two best friends, Bibi and Louise. But her life is missing that special someone.  Tired of being single and sick of bad date after bad date, she thinks she’s found the answer to her romance problem in an old women's magazine. According to the magazine’s dating column, there are seven archetypes a woman will date before finding Mr. Right. It all seems silly at first, until Esther realizes she has exactly seven exes that match the The First Love, The Work Mistake, The Overlap, The Friend with Benefits, The Missed Chance, The Bastard, and The Serious One. Is it so hard to believe that perhaps one of them is The One?  Deciding she must have left her true love in the reject pile, Esther contacts each of her old boyfriends. But finding her soulmate isn’t as simple as she hoped it would be. Madness, mayhem, laughs,

Book talk - Review of This Charming Man By C.K. McDonnell

  V ampires do not exist. Everyone knows this. So it's particularly annoying when they start popping up around Manchester . Nobody is pleased about it. Not the Founders, the secret organisation for whom vampires were invented as an allegory, nor the Folk, the magical people hidden in plain sight who only want a quiet life. And definitely not the people of Manchester, because there is nothing more irksome than being murdered by an allegory run amok. Somebody needs to sort this out fast before all Hell really breaks loose - step forward the staff of The Stranger Times. It's not like they don't have enough to be dealing with. Assistant Editor Hannah has come back from getting messily divorced to discover that someone is trying to kidnap a member of their staff and while editor Vincent Banecroft would be delighted to see the back of any of his team, he doesn't like people touching his stuff - it's the principle of the thing. Throw in a precarious plumbing situation, gam

C.J Daugherty's ENDGAME (Night School #5) June 4th 2015 by Little Brown/Atom (UK)

BOW down to the QUEEN of  Young-adult suspense    Just 8 days and we'll finally have all the answers... 8 days until it all ends. Are you ready to let go? With only days left until the release of the final instalment in the Night School Series, I'm both excited and sad to see the series end.