Skip to main content

Book talk - Review of Is This It? By Hannah Tovey

 

Ivy and Mia have been best friends since the fun, messy, hungover years of their twenties.Ten years later, Mia has it all - the man, the house, the career. Ivy is skint, single, and scared that she isn't a 'hot mess' any more - she's a walking disaster.
But one night, Ivy switches her phone off, peels last night's drunken pizza off the sofa, and makes a list. A list that changes everything . . .

The new Ivy has a proper job. She goes on fancy dates in wine bars. She's starting to think: maybe 'faking it till you make it' is easy?

But then she meets Scott.
Curly-haired, sarcastic Scott.

Sh*t.
_________________________________________________

Is This It came to me to just at the right time in my life. YES, it sounds awfully cliche to say, but it is true. I read the first few lines of the blurb and I was sold, just picture me standing in my kitchen shouting,  'wow, I need this' 

I hadn't realised until I'd finished the book that this is the second book about the life and escapades of our shameless and sassy welsh firecracker Ivy Edwards, but from what I can tell, both seem to work just fine as a standalone. 

The blurb promises a relatable female character, trying to make sense of her current circumstances, how to get to grips with this thing called 'adult life', and how to move from 'hot mess' to 'heck yes' 

I'vy's situation resonated with me, far more than I'd be happy to admit, but how could it not? We've all been there, right or you know, kinda still are there. Hannah's story is achingly relatable, absolutely hilarious, and really sweet where it needs to be. Hannah's writing is brilliant and her characters are expertly fleshed out. Is this It takes the reader through situations where you can't help but cackle and nod your head in agreement. The dates, ugh! The datesss! 

Ivy's character feels very lifelike which made it easy to build a connection with her as her story unfolds and I was rooting for her the whole way! We see real vulnerability in her character in the backstory about her grandfather and how the love we feel for family guides us, and our dedicision making long after they've gone. 

The story concludes beautifully, so here's to hoping we get a number 3.Who knows what Ivy gets up to next? I definitely need to know. Either way, this made for beautiful summer reading. 

Thanks again to Piatkus books for this copy, I truly enjoyed myself! 

Popular posts from this blog

C.J Daugherty's ENDGAME (Night School #5) June 4th 2015 by Little Brown/Atom (UK)

BOW down to the QUEEN of  Young-adult suspense    Just 8 days and we'll finally have all the answers... 8 days until it all ends. Are you ready to let go? With only days left until the release of the final instalment in the Night School Series, I'm both excited and sad to see the series end.

LUNCH TIME SUCCESS & AN AWFUL LOT OF SWOONING #tfiosedition

Lunch time success in the office. Thanks to the never ending rain, I decided to stay in the office, had next to no motivation to eat my lunch out in the rain and so, I just stayed at my desk and decided to start on something cute and bookish to add to the collection. Voila, today's theme was  ''SKIP A HEARTBEAT''  What do you like to do in your lunch breaks? Tweet us with your favourite lunch time activities! Hugs for you all,  xo

Sneaky teaser for upcoming new adult romance 'LOCKED' by EVA MORGAN - ENJOY!

Hello, Hello, Hello, We're back and it is time for another round of  ' SATURDAYS-BEST '   So for this weeks round, we've got an exciting teaser to share and we hope you'll enjoy it just as much as we did. As mentioned in the title, today's special teaser is from the upcoming modern-day Sherlock Holmes retelling ' Locked ' written by american YA/NA romance author Eva Morgan . (Author of Torrential!)  The finished ebook will be available for your reading pleasure on the 10th of February 2014, (2 DAYS!!) so you better make sure your e-reader is fully charged!  LOCKED BLURB ''Eighteen-year-old Irene Adler hasn’t cared much for living since her sister died.  Until Sherlock Holmes moves in next door. Sherlock is a conceited, sharp-cheekboned nightmare—and Irene’s first real friend in ages. Within a day, he’s partnered with her to solve their school's mysteries. Within a week, he’s saved her life in more ways tha...