Skip to main content

Book talk - Review of 'Black Ice' BY Becca Fitzpatrick

Published as ebook
by S&S Books for young readers 





So this book showed up on my radar fairly unexpectedly. I've got to be honest and say that I hadn't been aware of its publication at all and I certainly didn't know what to expect when I read that 'Black Ice' was labeled as a 'dark and mysterious thriller.' 


The reviews I'd read prior to starting the ebook were rather mixed in opinion, but as a big fan of the the Hush Hush series I knew I would just have to give it a chance. 

It started off entertaining enough and despite my initial concerns, I kept on reading. I'm not too sure how I feel about labelling Black Ice as a thriller however,  because if I had to be brutally honest, I don't believe it really qualifies as one, even as a young-adult thriller. 

Were there parts that somewhat shocked me? Yes, certainly. 

Was I scared or at all worried for the characters at any point? Sadly...no. 

Which is why I think the book lacked in terms of general 'thrill' - if something is described as a thriller and yet,  the reader does not fear for the characters lives at least once during a supposedly dark plot, something is obviously not quite right. Now don't get me wrong, the plot itself is by no means awful; all the book needs is a little rebranding. Leave it in with the mystery and suspense genre and voila, I'm sure a lot of people would think different about it. 

Character wise, I wasn't too keen on Britt's so called best friend and I got quite frustrated with her fairly early on. Alas, the male characters weren't that much better in comparison  if I'm honest, apart from maybe that one exception. In terms of dialogue and story progression I can say that some of the scene were a little ridiculous, but entertaining nonetheless. 

On a positive note, I really did like the location Becca picked. Big fan of cozy mountain cabins, just a bit of a shame Becca's initial idea didn't live up to its full potential. 

Overall, I can't say that I regret reading 'Black Ice' or that it changed my view of the Author, however I probably won't re-read it anytime soon either. 
I'm going to award it 2.5 stars out of 5 



Copy provided for honest review. 





Popular posts from this blog

C.J Daugherty's ENDGAME (Night School #5) June 4th 2015 by Little Brown/Atom (UK)

BOW down to the QUEEN of  Young-adult suspense    Just 8 days and we'll finally have all the answers... 8 days until it all ends. Are you ready to let go? With only days left until the release of the final instalment in the Night School Series, I'm both excited and sad to see the series end.

LUNCH TIME SUCCESS & AN AWFUL LOT OF SWOONING #tfiosedition

Lunch time success in the office. Thanks to the never ending rain, I decided to stay in the office, had next to no motivation to eat my lunch out in the rain and so, I just stayed at my desk and decided to start on something cute and bookish to add to the collection. Voila, today's theme was  ''SKIP A HEARTBEAT''  What do you like to do in your lunch breaks? Tweet us with your favourite lunch time activities! Hugs for you all,  xo

Sneaky teaser for upcoming new adult romance 'LOCKED' by EVA MORGAN - ENJOY!

Hello, Hello, Hello, We're back and it is time for another round of  ' SATURDAYS-BEST '   So for this weeks round, we've got an exciting teaser to share and we hope you'll enjoy it just as much as we did. As mentioned in the title, today's special teaser is from the upcoming modern-day Sherlock Holmes retelling ' Locked ' written by american YA/NA romance author Eva Morgan . (Author of Torrential!)  The finished ebook will be available for your reading pleasure on the 10th of February 2014, (2 DAYS!!) so you better make sure your e-reader is fully charged!  LOCKED BLURB ''Eighteen-year-old Irene Adler hasn’t cared much for living since her sister died.  Until Sherlock Holmes moves in next door. Sherlock is a conceited, sharp-cheekboned nightmare—and Irene’s first real friend in ages. Within a day, he’s partnered with her to solve their school's mysteries. Within a week, he’s saved her life in more ways tha...