Skip to main content

Book talk - Review of Perfect Timing by Owen Nicholls

 



Musician Tom and comedian Jess have brilliant timing on stage - but soon after a chance encounter, they learn the hard way that, when it comes to love, timing isn't so easy... Perfect for fans of will -they-won't-they love stories, romantic comedies and Josie Silver.





For Jess and Tom, timing is everything.
For her, it's the moment she delivers the perfect punchline. For him, it's the heartbeat in the music he makes with his band.
And from the night they meet, sharing the same stage at the Edinburgh Festival, their attraction is undeniable. At first, it seems their timing is as perfect in the wings as it is in front of a crowd.
But as Jess and Tom's careers take off, the moment for true connection is always just out of reach. With fate pushing them together, only to pull them apart, will the timing ever be right?
After all, when it comes to love, the timing has to be perfect. . . doesn't it?

I kindly received an early copy through Netgalley and have since been fortunate to enjoy a few brief virtual interactions with the author. 

Like the story itself, his tweets are insightful, relatable and often with a strong touch of nostalgia, which is exactly what I enjoyed about The Pefect Timing. 
In the first chapters alone I found myself nodding along with the main character Tom. 

Tom is a bit awkward, sarcastic (which I loved!) and a bit sassy? I don't know how to describe it, but I could really relate to his persona from very early on. 

I really enjoyed the story's dimension and how it evolved through the chapters. The Perfect Timing is multi-faceted and slowly unravels more and more layers as it goes on. I liked how Owen lays out the deeper and more troubling themes while the story nagivates the reader from a cheery romance through some of darker aspects of the characters. You become swept up in an undertow and I found that experience quite exhilerating. 

As I mentioned before, The Perfect Timing is a great combination of heart-warming romance, humour and sorrow. Its characters aren't likeable at all times, but I think that works in favour of the over all story and you know, life (?) and I think that's what makes it so relatable. 

The book explores themes such as alcoholism, anxiety, absentee parents and grief, so if you're looking for a fluffy summer read, this might not be the one for you, but saying that, if you want a quirky, multi-layered rom-com, you can get a copy via the links below! 





Popular posts from this blog

C.J Daugherty's ENDGAME (Night School #5) June 4th 2015 by Little Brown/Atom (UK)

BOW down to the QUEEN of  Young-adult suspense    Just 8 days and we'll finally have all the answers... 8 days until it all ends. Are you ready to let go? With only days left until the release of the final instalment in the Night School Series, I'm both excited and sad to see the series end.

Novelicious book review- How to get a (love) life - ROSIE BLAKE

How to get a (love) life is Rosie Blake's fabulous debut and I was fortunate enough to get a copy  from the sweet ladies over at Novelicious.  HTGALL had been on my TBR for several months and so I was particularly excited to get started  on it once I  finally got my hands on it.  So the next day, I believe it was a sunny tuesday,  I made myself a lovely cuppa, popped on some Miles Davis and went outside  into the garden, kindle in the left hand, cuppa in the other.  I  sat down and got started.  (Ooo, and let's not forget the custard creams here. A definite must!) So there I was, basking in the glorious sun, burning through the pages like there's no tomorrow. For those who haven't read it yet, (Tsk, tsk!)  the story follows young  and petite  Nicola Brown on her quest to  find, well... you guessed it, to find  herself a nice bit of romance.   The ingredients:  1 x s...

LUNCH TIME SUCCESS & AN AWFUL LOT OF SWOONING #tfiosedition

Lunch time success in the office. Thanks to the never ending rain, I decided to stay in the office, had next to no motivation to eat my lunch out in the rain and so, I just stayed at my desk and decided to start on something cute and bookish to add to the collection. Voila, today's theme was  ''SKIP A HEARTBEAT''  What do you like to do in your lunch breaks? Tweet us with your favourite lunch time activities! Hugs for you all,  xo